Become A Member
A Virtual Giving Circle is simple. We pool our small donations ($25/month) with the donations of other people who care who also care about the same cause. We become your donation team. You and other members suggest charities for us to consider, our donation committee researches those charities, and then you vote on which charity you think is going to make the biggest difference. The charity who gets the most votes receives our group donation.
For more information about how we work, review the Frequently Asked Questions.
With a donation team, you can know that you’re giving to the right charity, that your donation is going to be used in the right way and that it will make a big difference!
Build The Giving Muscle
If $25/month feels out of reach for you right now, let me introduce you to the Build the Giving Muscle program. Sometimes, it’s not easy to start at $25/month. So, we created the “Build the Giving Muscle” program. The first month, your credit or debit card is charged $1, then the next month, it’s $5. The next is $10, then $15, then $20, and then, finally it’s $25. So, in six months, you work up to $25/month. Most people find that their budget naturally works it way around donating $25/month when they work up to it slowly. In just six months you’ll find that supporting your favorite cause is so easy you won’t even have to think about where to find the money. The drawback to donating less than $25 is that you won’t get to nominate charities for us to consider or vote on which charity we donate to until you’ve reached the $25/month level.
Go here to join the People For Pets Giving Circle through the Build The Giving Muscle Program.
What Will Your Donation Do?
Together, we supported great animal charities across the country. In the past, we've helped Detroit set up their first No Kill Animal Rescue. We’ve made donations to support animal shelters after local disasters like hurricanes, floods, and fires. We’ve spayed and neutered feral cats, freed dogs from puppy mills, and helped senior dogs live out their lives with grace and dignity. You can find out more about the charities we’ve supported here.
Where we donate to next will be up to you. Our giving circle is member driven. You and other members nominate charities for us to consider. We research the charities thoroughly, and send you the completed reports. Then you and the other members vote on for the charity you think is making the biggest difference.
Together, we know that our small donations are making a really big difference for pets.
10 Reasons To Donate Through A Giving Circle
Become A Member
- 1. You Make A Bigger Impact on the Charity: We pool our small donation with the donations of lots of other people. As a result, our donation will be much larger than what we could do or wanted to do alone. A larger donation means that the charity has more money to do their important work.
- 2. You Make a Bigger Impact on the Problem: We incorporate education into our giving circle activities, so that our donation committee can research organizations and the programs they’re implementing for efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability. We work hard for our money and we want our money to work hard, too!
- 3. You Choose a Better Charity: Not all charities are created equal. Some are doing amazing work, maximizing every dollar spent, and making a huge impact on the problem. Others struggle with organizational efficiency, have high operating costs, paying large salaries for fund raisers and CEO’s, and, in a few circumstances, committing fraud and embezzlement.
- 4. You Save Time: You can give as much or as little time to this as you want. You might decide to be on the donation committee or not. You’re just one person with a busy schedule, but when lots of people come together to support the same cause, you leverage the time of all our members. You can always feel great about how you donate while you focus on your work, your family, and your friends.
- 5. You Have Permission to Say No to Other Donation Requests: How many requests do you get for a donation? I’d say I have 3 emails every day, one or 2 that arrive in snail mail every week, one or two Facebook friends running a marathon a month, and mountains of requests during the holidays. But I know that I donate through my giving circle, because I can be confident that my donation is making the biggest impact possible on the causes that I care about, so I can politely decline. What a relief!
- 6. You Get Peace of Mind that You’re Giving Back: Before I joined a giving circle, I would really want to donate money. But I was busy, and I never could find the time to make the donations that I wanted. I would always have a little voice in the back of my head reminding me of my guilt and that I needed to give back more! But now, I know exactly how and how much I’m giving. I feel good about it, and that little voice in my head has nothing to say!
- 7. You Won’t Have To Worry About the End of Year Donation Rush: December is the largest month for donations, that means charities send out massive amounts of requests for donations. If you’re like me, I would know that I needed to donate this year, so I would flip through the catalogs, read the requests, and make the difficult choices about where and how much I could donate. It’s kind of like putting my expenses together for my tax returns. Sure, I could do a little every month, and then it’s nice and easy. But instead I sit down in March and spend hours going through my paperwork. A giving circle can be your annual charitable donation plan. You know how much you’ll be donating. You’ll know that the charities will be well chosen. And if you want to give more at the end of the year, then you can choose to browse those catalogs or to send more to a charity we’ve chosen in the past. An end of year charitable donation is your choice to pursue or not at your pleasure!
- 8. You Enjoy Donating More: I speak with people all across the country about their giving circles and they all tell me the same thing: a giving circle is a profoundly rewarding way to donate money. It’s more fun, because you’re sharing the experience with other people like you who care about the same cause that you care about. The relationships and friendships created in a giving circle are a big reason why many people across the country continue to participate in giving circles year after year.
- 9. You Donate More (But It Feels Like Less): When I waited until the end of the year to choose where to donate, invariably I had less to donate than I would have liked. The end of the year happens right after Christmas after all! So, I would look at my budget and squeeze in what I felt I could do and maybe a little more, because I felt I should. With a giving circle, charitable giving is part of my monthly budget just like my other monthly expenses. Setting it up to be a little at a time means that overall, I’ll give more money than I would have done at the end of the year, but it feels like less!
- 10. You Discover New Charities: There are over 1 million charities in the US. How many can you think of right now? 10? 20? Maybe 50? It’s easy to get in a rut and only see the same few charities, but there are lots of great charities doing great work, and you’ll discover ones across the country that you would otherwise never hear about. It’s fun and exciting to learn about these charities!
- Bonus Reason! You’ve planned for emergency donations: We set aside a small portion of our donations into an Emergency Relief Fund. When a natural or man-made disaster occurs, any member can request those funds to help relieve the immediate suffering of people impacted by that disaster. Now, you don’t have to watch a disaster on T.V. and wish you could help. You can actually do something about it!
Worry Free Guarantee
No If's, And's, Or Buts. I Want You To Love Your Giving Circle!
What if?? Whatever your what if, there’s no need to worry about joining. There is NO joining fee, and if in the first 30 days, you decide you don’t like your giving circle for any reason, I’ll refund your donation. Easy Peasy!
After 30 days, I’ve probably already donated your donation to a great charity, so I won’t be able to refund your donation. But you can cancel at any time, and any future donations will be immediately cancelled.
You can read more FAQ’s or contact me if you have any questions before you join.